The slide occurred today about two miles south of Mukilteo, agency spokeswoman Kimberly Reason said.
The owner of the tracks, BNSF Railway, requires a 48-hour waiting period following a slide before passenger trains may use the tracks. Amtrak must wait at least until Saturday before resuming service on the Cascades and Empire Builder runs.
Backup bus service is being provided to Sounder passengers traveling north this evening and tomorrow morning into Seattle.
Sounder service will resume on Monday if no other slides occur, Reason said.
Most recent Street Smarts posts
- Mann Road to close for Burlington Northern crossing repairs Nov. 16
- Finishing Highway 522 widening? Add it to the long(shot) list Nov. 16
- A source for answers to some tolling questions Nov. 11
- New pedestrian-friendly traffic signal serves Interurban Trail Nov. 10
- How to have your say in the future of public transportation Nov. 9
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.