Like The Herald Business Journal on Facebook!
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
Heraldnet.com

The top local business stories in your email

Contact Us:

Josh O'Connor
Publisher
Phone: 425-339-3007
joconnor@heraldnet.com

Maureen Bozlinski
General Sales Manager
Phone: 425-339-3445
Fax: 425-339-3049
mbozlinksi@heraldnet.com

Jim Davis
Editor
Phone: 425-339-3097
jdavis@heraldnet.com

Site address:
1800 41st Street, S-300,
Everett, WA 98203

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 930
Everett, WA 98206

HBJ RSS feeds

Target taking actions on security, executive says

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Marcy Gordon
Associated Press
Published:
WASHINGTON — An executive of Target Corp. said Tuesday the retailer has taken actions to shore up security following the massive breach of millions of consumers’ data during the holiday season.
The testimony at a Senate hearing by John Mulligan, executive vice president and chief financial officer at the No. 2 U.S. discounter, also revealed that Target discovered an additional 25 cash registers infected by malicious software on Dec. 18. The company had said earlier that it had removed all the malware from its system by Dec. 15.
Mulligan’s testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee was the first public appearance by a Target executive addressing the issue since the breach that occurred between Nov. 27 and mid-December. An estimated 40 million credit and debit card accounts were affected.
Mulligan said Target is “deeply sorry” for the effect of the data theft on consumers, and he acknowledged that their confidence in the Minneapolis-based company has been shaken.
Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the panel’s chairman, said the erosion of consumers’ confidence — with data breaches on the rise affecting retailers, Internet companies and others — could hinder the U.S. economy’s recovery.
The recent data hackings at Target, luxury retailer Neiman Marcus and arts-and-crafts chain Michaels Stores “compromised the privacy and security of millions of consumers,” Leahy said.
Senators pressed Mulligan and Michael Kingston, senior vice president and chief information officer at Neiman Marcus Group Inc., about how quickly they notified customers of the breaches.
Mulligan said Target executives were told on Dec. 12 by the Justice Department of suspicious activity involving payment cards. The company started an investigation, removed malware and publicly announced the data theft on Dec. 19.
A processing firm told Neiman Marcus of a problem on Dec. 13, and the company’s investigators made a report on Jan. 2, Kingston said. Customers were notified on Jan. 10. The malware causing the breach appeared to have been operating in many Neiman Marcus stories between July and October, Kingston testified.
An estimated 1.1 million accounts were affected.

MORE HBJ HEADLINES

CALENDAR

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus

Market roundup