Mike Wilson, who teaches government and politics at Cascade High School in Everett, formally launched a campaign for the 44th Legislative District seat last week.
He is the first Democrat to enter the race and joins Republican Mark Harmsworth, a Mill Creek City Councilman, as the only announced candidates. Hope has endorsed Harmsworth for the post.
Wilson, a native of Yakima, is a National Board teacher and is also an adjunct faculty member at Bellevue College and Everett Community College, according to a biography released by his campaign. In the past 38 years he's coached football, wrestling, soccer and Little League baseball, and run youth football camps.
"I teach students every day that democracy means you have to participate," he said in a statement. "I coach student-athletes every day about the value of hard work and finishing what you start. It's time for a classroom teacher in the state Legislature and I'm ready to step up and do what's best for our students and our community."
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- Syrian refugees welcome in Washington, Inslee says Nov. 16
- Rep. Larsen seeks input on Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact Nov. 12
- Unions blast Boeing for paring jobs since 2013 tax break extension Nov. 9
- Larsen will help negotiate federal highway bill Nov. 6
- ‘Absolutely elated’ Eyman celebrates initiative’s success Nov. 5
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.