The fire in the 4800 block of 164th Street SW was reported by the homeowners about 11:40 p.m, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
“They told firefighters the smoke alarms woke them up,” Hynes said. “Firefighters could see smoke and flames in the attached garage when they arrived.”
Firefighters from Fire District 1 and the Lynnwood Fire Department brought the flames under control within about 15 minutes. No one was injured.
“Firefighters were able to stop the fire before it reached the living area of the house, but there was smoke damage throughout the structure,” Hynes said.
The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office investigated the fire and determined it was started by an overheated electrical cord to a space heater that had been left turned on in the garage to prevent a piece of drywall equipment from freezing overnight.
Damage to the house and contents is estimated at more than $130,000.
“This fire could have had a more tragic outcome if it weren’t for the smoke alarms that woke the homeowners and gave them time to escape,” Hynes said.
More Local News Headlines
Video captures close call of Big Four Ice Caves collapse 5:01 p.m. Options considered to restore grizzly bear population to county Everett schools expand summer reading program Feds approve PUD's two small hydroelectricity projects Mukilteo ferry terminal construction crews begin asbestos removal School bus barn work begins on 15-acre spot in Lynnwood WWII veteran from Arlington reflects on his fight for freedom Video captures collapse at Big Four Ice Caves near Verlot 2:12 p.m.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.