The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar

Splash! Summer guide

HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014, 12:01 a.m.

Arsonist pleads not guilty to child molestation

EVERETT — A Snohomish man convicted of trying to burn down abortion clinics in the early 1980s was back in court Wednesday, pleading not guilty to a child molestation charge.
Curtis Beseda, 58, entered the plea during a brief hearing in Snohomish County Superior Court.
Police say he is the man who groped an 11-year-old girl inside the Snohomish Fred Meyer store on Jan. 27. The incident was caught on store surveillance video.
Deputy prosecutor Andrew Alsdorf on Wednesday asked that Beseda remain locked up at the county jail in Everett unless he can post bail, which was previously set at $250,000.
Judge Marybeth Dingledy let the bail stand and scheduled Beseda’s trial for late March.
Beseda was sleeping in his minivan in a Pierce County parking lot when he was arrested Monday. He reportedly said he knew that he was wanted on a warrant, but was unaware of the charge.
In court Wednesday, he told the judge that he was just learning that he’d been charged with first-degree child molestation.
An 11-year-old girl reported that a stranger groped her while she was waiting for her father outside the store restroom. Prosecutors say several people identified Beseda from the video footage.
In the 1980s he was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison after being convicted of arsons at abortion clinics in Everett and Bellingham. After bouncing in and out of custody on parole violations Beseda spent much of the last decade cycling through jails and the state mental hospital for a string of misdemeanor offenses. Those include harassment and criminal trespass cases involving churches. He also was charged, but acquitted at trial, of a 2004 reckless burning in Snohomish.
Scott North: 425-339-3431, north@heraldnet.com
Story tags » ProsecutionSex CrimesArson

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet highlights

Postcard from camp
Postcard from camp: New conference, new field for the Eagles
Racing and preaching
Racing and preaching: Jeff Knight drives a racecar on Saturday, preaches on Sunday
No challenge too great
No challenge too great: Scholarship fund helps cancer survivor attend college
Generosity lives on
Generosity lives on: How Hazel Miller is still helping others years after her death