Another 3-3 vote in Edmonds City Council
The deadlock continued despite 19 ballots at the council's Tuesday, Feb. 18, meeting after 27 ballots at the Feb. 11 meeting.
This week's meeting ended with the same 3-3 tie between former Councilman Steve Bernheim and former federal attorney Stephen Schroeder despite attempts by Council members Diane Buckshnis, Kristiana Johnson and Strom Peterson to introduce six other names during the balloting before settling on Shroeder.
Councilwomen Joan Bloom, Adriene Fraley-Monillas and Lora Petso have voted for Bernheim on all 46 ballots.
After the 46th ballot, the Council voted to continue voting on the appointment at its Tuesday, Feb. 25, meeting.
Some of the anti-Bernheim members say that they don't want to appoint a member who has said that he woh't run for a full term in the 2015 election.
The city council has until March 31 to appoint one candidate with a four-vote majority. Otherwise the five-member Snohomish County Council would make the appointment.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- State Democrats look at caucus system for presidential nomination April 16
- Liias bill on payday loans nearly dead in legislature April 13
- 1st Legislative District Democrats meet Monday April 10
- Senate budget cuts money for early learning April 9
- MLT officials invite community to Coffee with the City Wednesday April 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.