The move was expected. Rice, 27, played in just eight games this past season before suffering a season-ending knee injury. He finished with 15 receptions for 231 yards and three touchdowns.
Rice is due $17.5 million in base salary over the next two seasons, ESPN reported.
Rice spent his first four NFL seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. He signed a five-year $41 million deal with Seattle as a free agent in 2011.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Wednesday Seahawks transactions: Turbin waived Sep. 9
- Fred Jackson's first day, plus notes on Chancellor, captains, etc. Sep. 7
- It's official, Fred Jackson is a Seahawk Sep. 7
- Former UW receivers Smith, Williams signed to Seahawks practice squad Sep. 6
- Seahawks trade RB Michael to Cowboys for draft pick Sep. 6
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.