Edmonds, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace council leaders chosen
Buckshnis is new to her position, while both Simmonds and Smith continue in positions they held before this year.
As council presidents in mayor-council governments in Edmonds and Lynnwood, Buckshnis and Simmonds set the council agendas and preside over the council in the mayor's absence. As mayor in Mountlake Terrace's council-manager system, Smith presides over council meetings and does the ceremonial duties of a mayor, while the appointed city manager runs the day-to-day operations of government.
Simmonds has served on the Lynnwood Council since winning election in 1999. Smith first won election to the Mountlake Terrace Council in 2001. Buckshnis joined the Edmonds Council in 2010 and won a full four-year term in the 2011 election.
The councils elected their leaders at their first meetings in January.
In addition, the Edmonds City Council selected Councilwoman Kristiana Johnson as council president pro-tem; the Lynnwood Council elected Councilman Sid Roberts as council vice president; and the Mountlake Terrace Council picked Councilwoman Laura Sonmore as mayor-pro-tem.
Johnson won appointment to the Edmonds Council in 2013 and election to a four-year term later in the year. Roberts won election in 2011. Sonmore joined the Mountlake Terrace Council by appointment in 2000 and won elections in 2001, 2003, 2007 and 2011.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Legislators from 21st District hold telephone town hall Wednesday March 11
- 32nd District Dems to discuss endorsements, presidential nomination Wednesday March 11
- Voting-rights bill passes House; Liias tries to get it to Senate March 9
- Edmonds Council picks planning board member to fill council vacancy March 5
- Stanford says his bill would make college affordable for service members March 4
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.