REGIONAL PREVIEW: Hoquiam vs. King's boys
Where: Mountlake Terrace H.S.
Records: King’s 22-2; Hoquiam 16-7
AP rank: King’s 3rd; Hoquiam NR
Scoreczar rank: King’s 2nd; Hoquiam 26th
Key wins: King’s—Seattle Academy (twice), Enumclaw, Cedarcrest (twice), Friday Harbor, Cedar Park Christian-Bothell; Hoquiam—Elma, Castle Rock.
How they got to regionals: King’s beat Cedar Park Christian-Bothell in the championship game of the District 1/2/3 Tri-District to earn the tri-district’s No. 1 seed; Hoquiam lost to Kalama in the District 4 third-place game to earn the district’s No. 4 seed.
Players to watch: King’s—Calvin Kispert, F; Corey Kispert, G; Brett Jones, G/F; Jacob Storkson, G/F, Noah Bundrant, G. Hoquiam—Evan Newton, G; Blake Kelly, P; Jerod Steen, G; Jack Adams III, G.
Breakdown: In 2014, King’s has been one of the hottest teams in the state of Washington. After a loss to Lynden on Dec. 30, the Knights have reeled off 16 straight wins by an average margin of victory of nearly 24 points per game. Freshman guard Corey Kispert and junior Bundrant have been a steady backcourt presence that can hit daggers from behind the arc, while Calvin Kispert and Brett Jones have controlled the paint. King’s will have a distinct height advantage over the smaller Grizzlies, who are led by a trio of guards Newton, Steen and Adams III. Kelly averages 8.0 points per game and leads the team in rebounds and blocked shots, but he and the rest of his teammates will have their hands full tonight.
Prediction: King’s, 63-47
- Confidence has grown for battle-tested Edmonds-Woodway girls 3/1/14
- Arlington girls headed back to Tacoma with win over Beamer 3/1/14
- Lynnwood girls beat Bellarmine Prep, advance to Tacoma 3/1/14
- Stanwood boys headed to Tacoma after beating Foss 3/1/14
- Mountlake Terrace boys fall to Wilson in regionals 3/1/14
- Glacier Peak falls short in regional loss 3/1/14
- Edmonds-Woodway’s season comes to end in regionals 3/1/14
- REGIONAL PREVIEW: Glacier Peak vs. Mercer Island girls 3/1/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.