REGIONAL PREVIEW: Shorecrest vs. O'Dea boys
Where: Mountlake Terrace H.S.
Records: Shorecrest 16-6; O’Dea 16-10
AP rank: Shorecrest NR; O’Dea 10th
Scoreczar rank: Shorecrest 11th; O’Dea 6th
Key wins: Shorecrest—Glacier Peak, Mountlake Terrace, Stanwood; O’Dea—Eastside Catholic, Franklin, Seattle Prep, Sheldon (Calif.), Mercer Island.
How they got to regionals: Shorecrest beat Stanwood in the District 1 championship game to earn the District 1 No. 1 seed; O’Dea lost to Bellevue in the District 2 third-place game to earn the District 2 No. 4 seed.
Players to watch: Shorecrest—Masamba Njadoe, F; Daniel Ghebremichael, G; Conin Oishi, G; O’Dea—Jamie Orme, G/F; Quin Barnard, G; Jacob Lampkin, C; Tyler Kidd, G.
Breakdown: Playing in the Metro League makes teams battle-tested and O’Dea is definitely that. The Irish played nine games against either No. 1-ranked Rainier Beach, third-ranked Bellevue, sixth-ranked Eastside Catholic, seventh-ranked Seattle Prep or ninth-ranked Mercer Island, and two more against previously ranked Franklin. That makes O’Dea’s 16-10 record and fourth-place finish in the devastatingly difficult Sea-King District Tournament all the more impressive. Shorecrest has won 11 straight games behind the improved play of guard Daniel Ghebremichael. But outside of Stanwood, O’Dea might be the best team the Scots have seen this season. Oishi and Ghebremichael will have to slow down Kidd and Orme, but the biggest test will be trying to stop 6-foot-9 power forward Lampkin.
Prediction: O’Dea, 55-48
- Confidence has grown for battle-tested Edmonds-Woodway girls 3/1/14
- Arlington girls headed back to Tacoma with win over Beamer 3/1/14
- Lynnwood girls beat Bellarmine Prep, advance to Tacoma 3/1/14
- Stanwood boys headed to Tacoma after beating Foss 3/1/14
- Mountlake Terrace boys fall to Wilson in regionals 3/1/14
- Glacier Peak falls short in regional loss 3/1/14
- Edmonds-Woodway’s season comes to end in regionals 3/1/14
- REGIONAL PREVIEW: Glacier Peak vs. Mercer Island girls 3/1/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.