Win tickets to Evergreen State Fair concert
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

E-cig batteries can cause fires, fire marshal in Oregon warns

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
MEDFORD, Ore. — Medford authorities say the lithium batteries that power the vaporizers in electronic cigarettes have caused two fires recently in Medford when they overheated during charging.
Fire Marshal Greg Kleinberg says one caused a mattress to catch fire, while the other exploded and sent bits of burning battery into the ceiling and walls.
Kleinberg tells the Mail Tribune that nobody got hurt, but either fire could have gotten out of hand, with serious consequences.
He said the devices aren’t strictly regulated, and not all have been tested by nationally recognized laboratories.
Kleinberg said people who use the battery-powered devices should unplug them before going to bed be sure to have a working smoke alarm.
Information from: Mail Tribune,

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus