The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Saturday, March 15, 2014, 1:00 a.m.

Thanks to voters for supporting schools

We would like to thank the Marysville School District voters for their support in our maintenance and operations and technology levies this February. Passage of this maintenance and operations levy provides 20 percent of our operating costs for the next four years. The state provides the other 80 percent. It is unfortunate that local levy dollars are needed to fund public education, but unless the state redefines basic education to include extra and co-curricular funding (doubtful, unfortunately) we will still need a levy.
The technology levy will provide $3 million per year over the next four years to create wireless access in all district school buildings. It will also help us educate teachers on how to best utilize technology for learning. The fact that many young users far surpass district teachers in the ability to navigate through technology makes teacher training a high priority. These dollars will also put devices in the hands of most students and integrate curricular and technology learning.
Strong schools make strong communities. Your support of Marysville schools enhances local business and stabilizes housing. We have seen our first enrollment gain in five years, and local levy support will strengthen future growth.
Thank you again. We know the Marysville School District will be good stewards with your money. We will all gain by it.
Don Whitfield and Pete Lundberg,
Levy co-chairs
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


Herald Editorial Board

Jon Bauer, Opinion Editor:

Carol MacPherson, Editorial Writer:

Neal Pattison, Executive Editor:

Josh O'Connor, Publisher:

Have your say

Feel strongly about something? Share it with the community by writing a letter to the editor. Send letters by e-mail to, by fax to 425-339-3458 or mail to The Herald - Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We'll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 250 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it. If your letter is published, please wait 30 days before submitting another. Have a question about letters? Contact Carol MacPherson at or 425-339-3472.