The event lost $36,000 in public funds last year. Now, Keith Brock, a guitarist who splits his time between Los Angeles and Monroe, wants the city to put up $65,000 for another September festival.
Brock told The Herald last week he intends to donate $20,000 to fund a 2014 concert if the city matches his contribution.
If the council agrees to fund a 2014 festival, city officials have said they want to see if others are interested in the concert contract.
Last year, the city decided Brock’s proposal was so unique they awarded the 2013 contract to him exclusively. City officials also acknowledge they didn’t vet Brock’s background before entrusting him with public money.
The council was expected this week to decide whether to fund this year’s event.
Mayor Geoffrey Thomas said the council wanted to allow more time for information from Brock.
Thomas said he still has concerns about the city funding a festival. Monroe’s 2014 general fund has budgeted expenses forecast to exceed revenues by $102,804.
The council is now set to decide at the March 25 meeting.
More Local News Headlines
Three weeks out, only four 911 texts have been valid County deputy director named president of state engineers association Accident victim has endured, thanks to his family, police officer Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River State’s oldest full-time worker on the job at EdCC Lord Hill levee repairs to start July 29 Less than a week before election, only 9.1 percent of ballots returned Red Cross on the lookout for heroes
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.