MLS suspends Sounders' Dempsey for two games
Dempsey's suspension is the result of hitting Bloom below the belt in the 42nd minute of an eventual 2-1 Toronto victory. Dempsey said following the game that the low-blow was accidental, offering this explanation: "I felt a hand on my back, tried to hit it away. I thought I was hitting his hand away. I understand that maybe I did catch him a little bit, I apologized to him about that. All I was trying to do was swipe his had from my back."
The league's disciplinary committee, however, didn't buy that explanation and denied Dempsey's appeal. Under a new rule that went in place this year, actions deemed violent conduct by the disciplinary committee come with a minimum of a two-game suspension, so suspending Dempsey one game wasn't an option.
Here is video of the incident in question:
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks injury updates July 27
- Notes and observations from Day 2 of Seahawks training camp July 26
- Notes and injury updates from day 1 of Seahawks training camp July 25
- Carroll disappointed in Lynch's absence as Seahawks open camp July 25
- Seahawks GM John Schneider talks Marshawn Lynch holdout July 25
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.