Dempsey's suspension is the result of hitting Bloom below the belt in the 42nd minute of an eventual 2-1 Toronto victory. Dempsey said following the game that the low-blow was accidental, offering this explanation: "I felt a hand on my back, tried to hit it away. I thought I was hitting his hand away. I understand that maybe I did catch him a little bit, I apologized to him about that. All I was trying to do was swipe his had from my back."
The league's disciplinary committee, however, didn't buy that explanation and denied Dempsey's appeal. Under a new rule that went in place this year, actions deemed violent conduct by the disciplinary committee come with a minimum of a two-game suspension, so suspending Dempsey one game wasn't an option.
Here is video of the incident in question:
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks vs. 49ers lineup notes, Marshawn Lynch inactive Nov. 22
- Seahawks vs. 49ers injury report, Lynch questionable again Nov. 20
- Earl Thomas, Kris Richard on effort and chemistry Nov. 19
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson speaks about distractions Nov. 19
- Earl Thomas talks about struggles, foundation work with ADHD Nov. 19
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.