Additional federal aid for mudslide granted
Viet Shelton, spokesman for Rep. Suzan DelBene, said the request was granted Friday morning. Inslee asked for an expansion of a federal emergency declaration the state received earlier this week.
Inslee issued the request Thursday for additional help that would come from an expanded declaration, including helping local and state government agencies recover a portion of the estimated $4.5 million expected to be spent on emergency response, protective measures and debris removal related to Saturday’s mudslide. Military Department spokeswoman Karina Shagren said that debris removal costs were not included in the federal approval, but that state officials are still working on securing that additional money.
The declaration that was received Monday provided federal disaster teams, other personnel and equipment.
- Medal of Valor could go to cities affected by mudslide 1/31/15
- Team effort will send mom whose son died in mudslide to Super Bowl 1/29/15
- Lawsuit claims Oso mudslide was ‘man-made’ 1/28/15
- Reverend's Oso song came straight from the heart 1/24/15
- Apply the lessons learned from Oso slide 1/21/15
- Lawmakers push for wider scope in disaster mobilization 1/20/15
- Near-record rainfall gave Oso mudslide its destructive force, USGS finds 1/13/15
- Red Cross distributes more than 1,000 free smoke alarms 12/31/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.