Obama declares major disaster in Oso
The declaration makes programs available to help individuals and businesses affected by the March 22 slide that killed more than two dozen people.
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Wednesday that the declaration also provides help for debris removal and emergency measures such as barricades, sand bags and safety personnel.
In asking for more federal assistance, Inslee said in his request Monday that about 30 families need help with housing and other needs.
Inslee has said estimated financial losses have reached $10 million.
- Nothing could keep Riley Brunner, then 16, from his dadís side 3/16/15
- As the Oso mudslideís one-year mark approaches, emotions run high 3/16/15
- Was Oso mudslide nature's mystery or man's mistake? 3/15/15
- After a year in the mudslide zone, Elaine Young finds peace in acts of kindness 3/15/15
- During Oso mudslide chaos and despair, Travis Hots was a trusted voice 3/15/15
- Wildfire resources may cover mudslides and other disasters 3/15/15
- Oso mudslide survivor Amanda Skorjanc pushes through the pain 3/13/15
- Rafting company holds off on trips past Oso mudslide 3/13/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.