President to visit Oso mudslide, nearby towns on April 22
The 1st District Democrat says she talked with the president Tuesday about the Federal Emergency Management Agency's continued support as the area copes with the aftermath of last month's devastating slide.
A statement from the White House was issued a few hours later:
"On Tuesday, April 22, President Obama will travel to Oso, Washington to view the devastation from the recent mudslide and meet with the families affected by this disaster, as well as first responders and recovery workers. Further details about the President's travel to Washington will be available in the coming days."
In a statement issued by Inslee's office, the governor said:
"The White House told me this morning that President Obama will visit the Highway 530 slide site April 22. This will give the president the opportunity to see first-hand the devastation wrought by the slide as well as the incredible community spirit flourishing in Oso, Arlington and Darrington. The White House said the president will meet with families, first responders and recovery workers.
"From the earliest days following the slide, the president has closely monitored events in the area and shown his concerns for the victims and their families. He and his team have been important partners in the response effort, and I believe this visit will strengthen those ties as we face the tough work ahead."
The death toll rose to 35 people Tuesday. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office says it's still working to identify four of the dead.
The county sheriff's office says 11 people remain missing from the March 22 slide that buried homes along the North Fork Stillaguamish River.
- Oso General Store in danger of closing 5/20/15
- Exhibit shows vivid images of Oso before and after slide 5/13/15
- Delayed disaster response in Oso prompts new law 5/8/15
- Darrington mayor receives national award for leadership 4/30/15
- New technology can help reduce risks from landslides 4/26/15
- Anonymous gift pays off Oso mudslide survivor's mortgage 4/22/15
- Governor signs law for geologic hazards mapping 4/17/15
- County public works and WSDOT win award for post-mudslide road rebuild 4/13/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.