Sidney Rice cleared by doctor, could be a target of Seahawks
Shortly after Rice was released, clearing up $7.3 million in cap space, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said of the receiver, as well as defensive end Red Bryant, who was also released, “maybe we have a chance to get them back, maybe we don’t. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Bryant didn’t last long on the free agent market, quickly signing with Jacksonville, but with Rice recovering from a torn ACL, he remained available.
On Monday, Rice announced, via Twitter, that five months after undergoing surgery, he had been cleared to resume cutting.
Great visit w Dr. Andrews today. Cleared to begin cutting at 5months and 1week.. Let's work! #PayAttentionWith Rice getting that clearance, interest should begin to pick up for his services, and according to ProFootballTalk.com, the Seahawks are interested, as are the Saints, Panthers and Giants.
— Sidney Rice (@sidneyrice) April 14, 2014
Of course the question now becomes just how interested the Seahawks or any team are in the 6-foot-4 receiver, who while talented, has struggled to stay on the field during his career. Seattle has need at the position having lost last year’s leading receiver, Golden Tate, in free agency, and also lacks size at receiver. If Rice is available on a low-cost, short-term deal, he would make a ton of sense for Seattle, but if one of those other teams has serious interest and is willing to offer significant money, the Seahawks will probably stay out of the bidding.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Katy Perry texts with Russell Wilson, imitates Marshawn Lynch, likes the Seahawks Sunday Jan. 29
- Pete Carroll on New England's use of unusual formations: "it's on us to see it." Jan. 29
- Richard Sherman hoping his unborn son is a “disciplined young man” until after Super Bowl Jan. 29
- Pete Carroll admits "it's going to be a big challenge" sustaining success after Russell Wilson gets paid Jan. 29
- Marshawn Lynch speaks up to ask media 'what are y'all here for?' Jan. 29
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.