Clint Dempsey earns back-to-back player of the week honors
Dempsey becomes the first Sounder to earn the weekly honor in consecutive weeks since Fredy Montero did so in Weeks 1 and 2 in 2009, and it marked just the third time a player has been a unanimous choice for the award.
Dempsey scored on a free kick in the first half of Saturday's 3-2 victory in Dallas, then scored the game-winner in the 85th minute. Dempsey also played the cross in front of the goal that was deflected in for a Dallas own-goal, giving Seattle the tying score in the 75th minute.
A week earlier, Dempsey had a hat trick in Seattle's 4-4 tie at Portland, including two late goals that allowed the Sounders to overcome a 4-2 deficit.
Dempsey, the highest-paid player in MLS, has scored a league-high six goals in just four games, including five in the past two, easing questions about his game after he struggled to produce both with Seattle after signing midway through last season, and while playing on loan with Fulham in England.
"I feel good, I feel like I'm in a rhythm, I feel like because of that fitness (from the Fulham loan) and feeling sharp and feeling strong, that I was able to come in here and have more of an impact on games," Dempsey said last week. "… Right now it is the best that I've played (with Seattle) because of the confidence level that I'm at but also the fitness level that I'm at."
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks general manager John Schneider on the team's power structure, re-signing Russell Wilson and more Jan. 27
- A whole lot of Seahawks player quotes from Super Bowl Media Day Jan. 27
- Top Seahawks quotes from Super Bowl XLIX Media Day Jan. 27
- Marshawn Lynch attends Super Bowl media day 'so I won't get fined' Jan. 27
- Tuesday Seahawks links: Kam vs. Gronk? LOB on the cover of SI and more Jan. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.