Contest: Win the updated Day Hike! series
When I can, I hit the lowland trails, or those that are starting to melt out. What I really want, though, is wildflowers, blue skies and huge alpine views.
So, I use this time of year to prepare by obsessively thinking about the hikes I want to do. This year, my planning is going to be aided by updates to Sasquatch Books' Day Hike! series.
Guide books to four regions -- North Cascades, Central Cascades, Mount Rainier and Olympic Peninsula -- have all been updated and re-released.
I have two sets of the four guides to give away. That's more than 240 trails you can hike in a day.
Here are three ways to enter:
1. Leave a comment on this post. Tell me where you are most excited to hike this summer.
2. Follow me on Twitter.
3. Post on Twitter and link to this post. Hashtag #dayhikescontest so I can easily see it.
Or, do all three, and I'll toss your name in the hat three times.
I'll select two winners randomly on or about May 8.
Meet the authors
A few release events for this book are coming up:
- May 8, 7 p.m.: Village Books, Bellingham. Seabury Blair Jr. (Day Hike! Olympic Peninsula) and Ron C. Judd (Day Hike! Mount Rainier) will present a talk about hiking in the Northwest, followed by a book signing. Details.
- May 10, 2 p.m.: Barnes & Noble, Silverdale. Seabury Blair Jr. (Day Hike! Olympic Peninsula) will present a talk about hiking in the Northwest, followed by a book signing. Details.
- May 13, 7 p.m.: University Book Store. Seabury Blair Jr. (Day Hike! Olympic Peninsula) will present a talk about hiking in the Northwest, followed by a book signing. Details.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
- Parks, Forest Service go fee-free for MLK Day Jan. 14
- Learn the basics of boating at upcoming classes Jan. 9
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.