Free, family friendly events to celebrate migratory birds
On Saturday, May 10, the Pilchuck Audubon Society has a number of events planned for International Migratory Bird Day. The events are all free and families are welcome.
Here's what's planned.
8 a.m. Daylong field trip to Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge. Meet at 8 a.m. near the transit facility at the back of the Everett Mall parking lot. Bring binoculars and snacks and dress for the weather. There will be lots of walking on flat trails and boardwalks. Lunch stop on the way home. Leader is Terry Nightingale.
9 to 11 a.m. Four bird walks are planned. Bring binoculars and dress for the weather.
- Corson Wildlife Refuge, 10114 54th Place NE, Lake Stevens. Parking is on private driveway. The access to this refuge is restricted. This is an opportunity to explore a hidden gem with leader Al Elliott.
- Edmonds Marsh: Meet at the viewing platform next to Blue Collar Dog House, 180 W. Dayton St., Edmonds. Leader Bill Anderson knows the marsh like no one else.
- Spencer Island, Everett: Follow Smith Road past Langus Riverfront Park, under I-5 and past the Everett Water Treatment Plant. When the road turns to gravel, watch for small parking lot on right. This area is known for its great birding. Leader is Virginia Clark.
- North Creek Park: Meet in the parking lot at 1011 183rd St. SE in Mill Creek. This is a productive wetland within an urban center. Leader is Christine Dubois.
8 to 9 p.m. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and watch Vaux's swifts enter their chimney roost at dusk. Binoculars are recommended. A docent will be available. Event is at 639 W. Main St., Monroe.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
- Parks, Forest Service go fee-free for MLK Day Jan. 14
- Learn the basics of boating at upcoming classes Jan. 9
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.