With new FEMA money, county can buy all Oso mudslide tracts November 19, 2015
Timber company loses bid to avoid Oso mudslide litigation November 2, 2015
Interior secretary at Oso: Funding needed for scientific research October 16, 2015
Timber company says it bears no responsibility in Oso mudslide October 2, 2015
Judge limits extent of claims in Oso mudslide litigation August 26, 2015
Victims of Oso mudslide still await buyouts, 16 months later August 3, 2015
Oso survivors pay forward support they once received July 13, 2015
Couple shared tragedy, loss of Oso, but found love July 5, 2015
Oso mudslide trial pushed to June 2016 July 2, 2015
Study: Real cause of Oso mudslide still unknown June 27, 2015
The County Council on Monday tabled discussion of options including a moratorium on new home construction in areas with known landslide hazards.
The move came after Deputy County Executive Mark Ericks asked for time to review temporary measures that council staff have been developing, which would increase building setbacks and engineering studies in potential landslide hazard areas.
“Let's be deliberative and careful,” County Council member Brian Sullivan said.
Council Chairman Dave Somers started the discussion April 23, when he asked the council to consider a temporary home-building ban within a half mile of slide areas.
The council took no action last week. Somers on Monday said that after seeing a map of the proposed half-mile moratorium, the measure would have been overly broad. Most of the unincorporated areas of the county would have been off limits to new building while notoriously flood-prone river valleys would have been unaffected.
Somers urged the council to consider an amended proposal for temporary development controls designed to make building near landslide hazard areas more safe.
The county's existing regulations, developed long before the March 22 slide, generally require buildings be set back at least 50 feet or half the height of an identified landslide hazard slope, whichever is greater.
Somers' amended proposal would require buildings to be set back at a distance equal to double the slope's height. Moreover, no permits would be issued without a geotechnical engineer examining potential risk out to a distance the equivalent of four times the slope's height.
The plan also would enact landslide risk notification requirements for affected properties.
Somers also serves on the state Forest Practice Board, which has scheduled a special meeting May 12 to examine what is known — and what is not — about the Oso mudslide. There may be an opportunity for the county to work with the state in getting answers, he said.
The portion of the hillside that collapsed above Steelhead Drive was roughly 600 feet high. It sent debris at least 3,700 feet from where the toe of the hill had previously been at the edge of the North Fork Stillaguamish River. Slide damage in the valley stretched a mile from the hillside, and some of that area also was buried under flood water because the river was blocked by earth.
Councilman Ken Klein, whose district includes Oso, said that whatever happens next he wants to make sure people affected by the decisions get the opportunity to weigh in.
Joan Smith, of Edmonds, urged the council to look closely at the stability of hillsides between Mukilteo and Shoreline. All one needs to do is monitor the regular cancellations of Sounder commuter trains to understand just how prone to slides the area can be, she said.
Scott North: 425-339-3431; email@example.com.
More Local News Headlines
With low recidivism, mental health court shows progress County Council sets hearing on Paine Field museums proposal Mukilteo School District puts 6-year capital levy on ballot Volunteers at Edmonds church assemble meal to be thankful for Glacier Peak arson probe continues after 9 months Police, parks in Lake Stevensí 2016 budget Fire closes Everett toy store; no one hurt 9:59 a.m. New administrator, new energy for Oak Harbor seniors
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.