Map's new aerial imagery shows mudslide devastation
View Oso mudslide victims and survivors in a larger map
We just revised our interactive map of Oso mudslide victims and survivors, and while doing so we noticed that Google Maps has now updated the aerial imagery to show the post-event devastation.
The pins of our map, showing where everyone lived, now lie on a sea of dirt and debris. Previously you could see the homes of the Steelhead Drive neighborhood and the surrounding area.
Signs of the recovery effort are visible in the new imagery: Highway 530 is buried, with work vehicles parked nearby, and people can be seen in places. The image quality is quite good when you zoom in. And the memorial tree which we've marked on the map is more visible now, standing alone in the drying mud.
- Lions proved big-hearted after mudslide 10/21/14
- Land-use planners ready to apply lessons from mudslide 10/15/14
- Darrington IGA, owners recognized for mudslide relief work 10/10/14
- Mudslide-displaced families to receive financial assistance 10/9/14
- Study of logging risk in slide areas sought 10/7/14
- Months after mudslide, Red Cross is still pitching in 10/6/14
- County set to close clearinghouse for items found after mudslide 10/2/14
- 43 trees mark lives lost along Highway 530 in Oso 9/28/14
- Oso shows its heart during ceremony honoring slide victims 9/22/14
- Oso survivor rebuilding his life six months after disaster hit 9/21/14
- Highway 530 will be back up to speed Monday, if not sooner 9/19/14
- 43 trees to honor those killed in Oso mudslide 9/17/14
- $75K grant will help rebuild trail wiped out by Oso slide 9/16/14
- County gets $1.5 million grant for mudslide buyouts 9/15/14
- Darrington schools get federal grant to pay for mudslide expenses 9/14/14
- Restoration of Whitehorse Trail well on its way 9/13/14
- Removal of debris coming to an end at Oso mudslide site 9/12/14
- State forest board looks at slope safety 9/8/14
- Oso firefighters expect big turnout at this year’s salmon bake 9/5/14
- New stretch of Highway 530 to open on Monday 9/4/14
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.