Map's new aerial imagery shows mudslide devastation
View Oso mudslide victims and survivors in a larger map
We just revised our interactive map of Oso mudslide victims and survivors, and while doing so we noticed that Google Maps has now updated the aerial imagery to show the post-event devastation.
The pins of our map, showing where everyone lived, now lie on a sea of dirt and debris. Previously you could see the homes of the Steelhead Drive neighborhood and the surrounding area.
Signs of the recovery effort are visible in the new imagery: Highway 530 is buried, with work vehicles parked nearby, and people can be seen in places. The image quality is quite good when you zoom in. And the memorial tree which we've marked on the map is more visible now, standing alone in the drying mud.
- Personal items buried by Oso mudslide handled with care 7/22/14
- No clear single cause of Oso mudslide, geologists say 7/22/14
- Identity of last Oso mudslide victim confirmed 7/22/14
- Joint county-state panel to probe mudslide events 7/21/14
- Mariners to salute Oso residents, rescuers 7/16/14
- Camp Killoqua opens its doors to kids from Oso, Darrington 7/14/14
- Explore NW: Kids head outside to study Oso slide and natural resources 7/14/14
- Oso clean-up concern: What about the last victim? 7/11/14
- A road paved by community 7/10/14
- WSU interns from Arlington giving back after slide 7/8/14
- Oso landowner drove a hard bargain after mudslide 7/8/14
- Oso debris cleanup starts again 7/7/14
- Driving Highway 530: 'Approach it with ... deep respect' 7/6/14
- 1st lawsuit filed against county, state over mudslide 7/1/14
- One bend of the Stillaguamish River is a known danger for slides 6/26/14
- Front Porch: Resolution honors mudslide victims 6/25/14
- 6-month ban on new construction near Oso slide OK’d 6/25/14
- County Council to take up land use in slide areas 6/24/14
- Oso mudslide put search dogs and handlers to the test 6/23/14
- Mudslide geological data to be released soon 6/23/14
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.