Heat melted the plastic pipe and the line exploded Saturday night with a 15-foot flame.
KREM-TV reported that a man who was having a birthday party suffered minor injuries when he was blown into a fence.
Avista utility crews found the fire pit was built on top of the gas line. The man who lives at the house says the pit was there when he moved in.
People are advised to call 811 before they dig anywhere for a free service to locate gas and other utility lines.
More Northwest Headlines
Striking Seattle teachers, district reach tentative deal 8:30 a.m. Parents scramble for child care amid Seattle teacher strike Kelso teachers vote to strike Wednesday if they dont have a contract Man used phone to call 911 after attack by bear in Alaska Hunting show host charged with poaching in Alaska State seeks some extra dollars in latest revenue forecast Lawmaker to file initiative related to state Supreme Court ruling Fast-moving fire in Klickitat County burns structures
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.