The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 2:59 p.m.

Wyoming plane crash may not be reached for months

  • Wreckage of a single-engine plane is seen on a rugged, snowy mountain outside of Yellowstone National Park on Monday.

    Park County Sheriff’s Office

    Wreckage of a single-engine plane is seen on a rugged, snowy mountain outside of Yellowstone National Park on Monday.

CODY, Wyo. — With avalanche dangers looming, officials said Wednesday it could be months before crews can reach a single-engine plane that crashed on a mountain in northwest Wyoming, presumably killing two elderly brothers on board.
Robert L. Zimmerman, 84, of Huntsville, Alabama, and Ward H. Zimmerman, 86, of Seattle, are believed dead based on aerial views of the crash site on a rugged, snow-covered mountain just outside Yellowstone National Park.
The danger of an avalanche makes it too risky to put rescuers on the ground, the Park County Sheriff’s Office said. The plane crashed at an elevation of about 9,900 feet on a 60-degree slope with a large cornice looming above the wreckage.
No effort to recover the bodies and the plane can be made until the avalanche risk ends and the deep snow melts enough, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lance Mathess said.
No one can say now when the conditions will improve, he said.
“It could be two weeks or it could be two months,” Mathess said. “The snow cornice could fall today or it could hang on for months. The mountains tend to make their own weather, and we could still get significant snowfall up there.”
The 1963 Mooney M20C was last seen May 6 departing Yellowstone Regional Airport in Cody. The plane with the Zimmermans aboard was reported missing Saturday and was found Monday on Howell Mountain, which peaks at 10,964 feet.
An attempt to use a Wyoming Army National Guard helicopter to drop a crew member down to the plane to determine the condition of the two men was abandoned after search-and-rescue members saw the crash site and the avalanche danger.
The brothers were headed from Cody to Twin Falls, Idaho, and then to Seattle. They had planned to fly over Yellowstone after taking off from the Cody airport.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.