With new FEMA money, county can buy all Oso mudslide tracts November 19, 2015
Timber company loses bid to avoid Oso mudslide litigation November 2, 2015
Interior secretary at Oso: Funding needed for scientific research October 16, 2015
Timber company says it bears no responsibility in Oso mudslide October 2, 2015
Judge limits extent of claims in Oso mudslide litigation August 26, 2015
Victims of Oso mudslide still await buyouts, 16 months later August 3, 2015
Oso survivors pay forward support they once received July 13, 2015
Couple shared tragedy, loss of Oso, but found love July 5, 2015
Oso mudslide trial pushed to June 2016 July 2, 2015
Study: Real cause of Oso mudslide still unknown June 27, 2015
The claims were brought against Snohomish County and the state of Washington by Seattle attorney Corrie Yackulic. They are likely precursors to litigation seeking answers about what happened, she said. Each claim says the amount of damages will be determined by a jury.
Two of the new claims were filed by survivors of people killed when the slide crashed down on the Steelhead Haven neighborhood.
Jonielle Spillers was not at home that morning. She lost her husband, Billy L. Spillers, 30, a chief petty officer at Naval Station Everett, and three of her four children. Jacob Spillers, 4, survived and was rescued from the mud.
Mindi Peake is the daughter of Mark Gustafson, 54. The carpenter and avid fly fisherman was the father of four grown children. He was missing for weeks.
Ron and Cheryl Burrows were away from their home in the 28600 block of Highway 530. Their house was destroyed and all their possessions buried.
Bruce and Deborah Cheek saw the value decline for property they own in the 26700 block of 305th Street NE.
Each of the claims says state and county officials have knowledge of what contributed to the disaster. The claims against the state allege that the Department of Natural Resources approved clearcutting within the groundwater recharge zone of the hill that fell.
The state ignored the best available science delineating the recharge zone in favor of much older data, the claims say.
Yackulic also has filed a claim on behalf of Deborah Durnell, 50, whose husband, Thomas Durnell, 65, a retired carpenter, was killed in the slide.
Four other claims were filed earlier on behalf of other families who lost people or property.
A total of 41 people have been confirmed killed in the slide; two remain missing.
More Local News Headlines
National Adoption Day celebrated at Snohomish County Courthouse Workers say Boeing tax breaks should come with jobs Ecstatic Edmonds homeowner claims glacial erratic Snohomish, Island county libraries host International Games Day Faith Calendar Stephanie Wright selected as president of state organization Progress made on U.S. 2; crews working to restore power to all Death of man in police custody on Tulalip reservation ruled an accident
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.