Oso mudslide helped fill hotels
Compared to April 2013, demand was up nearly 21 percent and revenue increased nearly 23 percent, according to Smith Travel Research.
Demand and revenue had been trending upward before the slide, so it is impossible to say exactly how much of the bump was from the March 22 disaster, Amy Spain, head of the county's tourism bureau, said in an email.
Even so, the influx of disaster relief workers likely had a “significant” effect on demand, she said.
Snohomish County hotels saw an 18 percent increase year-over-year in occupancy in April. So far this year, occupancy is up 5 percent compared to the same period last year.
Dan Catchpole: 425-339-3454; firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dcatchpole.
- Bicycle ride alters course to raise funds for slide victims 2/25/15
- Mudslide communities to be awarded state Medal of Valor 2/19/15
- Deadline extended for people to donate to mudslide relief effort 2/17/15
- Project Linus volunteers create blankets for children in crisis 2/13/15
- State adopts new logging rule for landslide-prone areas 2/11/15
- Oso mudslide property temporarily goes up for sale 2/11/15
- Governor honors naval team for response to Oso mudslide 2/11/15
- Medal of Valor could go to cities affected by mudslide 1/31/15
- Team effort will send mom whose son died in mudslide to Super Bowl 1/29/15
- Lawsuit claims Oso mudslide was ‘man-made’ 1/28/15
- Reverend's Oso song came straight from the heart 1/24/15
- Apply the lessons learned from Oso slide 1/21/15
- Lawmakers push for wider scope in disaster mobilization 1/20/15
- Near-record rainfall gave Oso mudslide its destructive force, USGS finds 1/13/15
- Red Cross distributes more than 1,000 free smoke alarms 12/31/14
- $5.25M targeted for children’s recreation in Stilly Valley 12/26/14
- Whitehorse Trail rebuild project delayed 12/25/14
- Millions spent after Oso mudslide, but generosity can't be measured 12/21/14
- Report points to critical fixes 12/18/14
- Mudslide report offers ideas to be ready for next disaster 12/15/14
Most recent Bizblog posts
- Briefs: Mukilteo’s Energy Solutions service techs get certifications Feb. 24
- Briefs: Lynnwood’s Chick-Fil-A owner named Feb. 23
- Briefs: Economic Group’s ambassador committee elected Feb. 20
- Briefs: New VP for Frontier Communications Feb. 19
- Briefs: Lake Stevens’ Williams Real Estate adds agent Feb. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.