One dead in fire at Everett apartments
EVERETT -- Police are investigating a fire that apparently killed one person and drove dozens of others from their homes early Friday.
The fire was discovered after a 2:45 a.m. call about the sound of breaking glass brought officers to the Candlewood Apartments, 8530 10th Ave. W., Everett police spokesman Aaron Snell said.
Smoke and flames were coming from an apartment in the A building of the complex, located along W. Casino Road. The building was evacuated, and a body discovered inside, Snell said.
No information about the victim was immediately available. Two people were treated for minor injuries.
Detectives were attempting to determine more about the circumstances of the fire, including its cause.
Dozens of people were reported displaced by the fire. The American Red Cross was assisting, Snell said.
By mid morning, police had allowed residents from all but six units to return home. Detectives were at the scene waiting for a search warrant that would allow them to gather evidence from inside the apartment where the victim's body was found.
Most recent Sirens posts
- Bomb squad dismantles live explosive found in Lynnwood May 4
- Empty school bus stolen from Stanwood-Camano district May 1
- Construction worker survives 30-foot fall at Lynnwood site April 28
- Woman’s death called suicide; body found in Snohomish pond April 28
- Pedestrian hit by car hospitalized April 28
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.