District Democrats at a Wednesday meeting gave a dual endorsement to Edmonds City Councilman Strom Peterson and Justin McMahon, who is making his first run for office after working on campaigns of various Democratic candidates in recent years.
District precinct committee officers and dues-paying members endorsed McMahon and Peterson over perennial candidate Dick McManus and retired Naval aviator Scott Whelpley.
The four Democrats will appear on the Aug. 5 primary ballot along with Republican Allen McPheeters. The top two vote getters in the primary, regardless of party, advance to the Nov. 4 general-election ballot.
The 21st Legislative District Democrats earlier had endorsed incumbent State Sen. Marko Liias and incumbent State Rep. Lillian Ortiz-Self. Neither has a Democratic opponent. Both have Republican opponents. Ortiz-Self also has opposition from an independent and from a Green Party candidate.
The 21st District includes most of Edmonds, unincorporated areas north of Edmonds and Lynnwood and northeast of Lynnwood, all of Mukilteo and part of south Everett.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Rep. Larsen to meet riders on Lynnwood-Seattle bus trip Tuesday Aug. 31
- Introductory statements from Edmonds Council candidates Petso, Tibbott Aug. 31
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 4 Aug. 28
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 3 Aug. 27
- U.S. Rep. Larsen, VA officials to meet vets at Mountlake Terrace Senior Center Aug. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.