Democrats endorse 2 for open 21st District seat
District Democrats at a Wednesday meeting gave a dual endorsement to Edmonds City Councilman Strom Peterson and Justin McMahon, who is making his first run for office after working on campaigns of various Democratic candidates in recent years.
District precinct committee officers and dues-paying members endorsed McMahon and Peterson over perennial candidate Dick McManus and retired Naval aviator Scott Whelpley.
The four Democrats will appear on the Aug. 5 primary ballot along with Republican Allen McPheeters. The top two vote getters in the primary, regardless of party, advance to the Nov. 4 general-election ballot.
The 21st Legislative District Democrats earlier had endorsed incumbent State Sen. Marko Liias and incumbent State Rep. Lillian Ortiz-Self. Neither has a Democratic opponent. Both have Republican opponents. Ortiz-Self also has opposition from an independent and from a Green Party candidate.
The 21st District includes most of Edmonds, unincorporated areas north of Edmonds and Lynnwood and northeast of Lynnwood, all of Mukilteo and part of south Everett.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- State Democrats look at caucus system for presidential nomination April 16
- Liias bill on payday loans nearly dead in legislature April 13
- 1st Legislative District Democrats meet Monday April 10
- Senate budget cuts money for early learning April 9
- MLT officials invite community to Coffee with the City Wednesday April 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.