Cleaning down the barrel of a tank
Getting the guns and armor back into shape means lots of scrubbing, polishing and even some vacuuming (that gravel gets everywhere!). After the guns fire, we clean them out just like you would a rifle, only on a much grander scale. It commonly takes a team of two people to man the bore brush and then push through solvent-soaked rags.
It takes even more than two if you count the person standing there, constantly making James Bond jokes...
Most recent Flight Paths posts
- Tough planes were designed to take a beating May 13
- Pilots use a clever trick to keep damaged planes in the air April 30
- 'Kommandogerät:' the complicated box that was revolutionary for flying April 23
- Three inches of glass separated WWII pilots and machine gun fire April 16
- Propellers make an overseas voyage for regular inspection April 2
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.