Starbucks building shop to serve EvCC, north Everett
Starbucks has broken ground on a new shop on college property at Broadway and 10th Street. The Seattle coffee chain is leasing the land from the college, but constructing the building.
“We feel like it’s a revenue source for the college and it’s an addition for the students and residents in the area,” said Pat Sisneros, vice president of college services. “It adds to the redevelopment effort that we’ve been involved with in north Broadway.”
The 2,000-square-foot store with a drive-through is expected to be open by the college’s fall quarter. It’s being built at the site of the former Frasier’s Sports Bar & Grill on the edge of the campus.
The college had intended to use the less than a half acre of property for parking, Sisneros said. But Starbucks was looking at building in the area. So the college was able to restripe an existing parking lot at College Plaza across North Broadway to backfill the parking spaces and add a new revenue source for the college, Sisneros said.
Starbucks took the land as is. EvCC will receive $75,000 a year in lease revenue with increases coming every five years. The lease was signed in the past 30 days.
EvCC has an existing relationship with the Everett-based Bargreen Coffee, which serves students and faculty in the Parks Student Union and Whitehorse Hall. That continues, Sisneros said.
MORE HBJ HEADLINES
- Tycoon behind Syngenta bid China’s most aggressive dealmaker 4:43 p.m.
- Google’s Greene hastens cloud expansion in race with Amazon
- Law enforcement investigators seek out private DNA databases
- Fewer Canadian snowbirds buying Southern California homes
- Rising GOP star in West Virginia fights for coal against EPA
- Work being done on waterfront as a precursor to attracting developers