More Oso mudslide damage claims filed
That brings to nearly 30 the number of potential lawsuits facing Snohomish County and Washington state over the natural disaster.
“Our goal remains to find out what happened and to make sure it doesn't happen again and to make sure we can help our clients deal with their losses,” said Seattle attorney Corrie Yackulic, who filed the latest batch of claims.
The mudslide hit at 10:37 a.m. on a Saturday, killing 43 people. Authorities have found the remains of all but one of the dead.
The damage claims are likely precursors to lawsuits. Each claim asks that a jury determine damages.
Nine of the new claims allege wrongful death, Yackulic said. Three others are for personal injury or property loss.
The county's risk management division also received eight damage claims on Friday from insurance companies.
Yackulic and two other Seattle attorneys representing affected families previously filed nine claims on behalf of slide survivors and victims' estates.
Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- About 350 people gather at prayer service to remember victims 3/21/15
- Victims often struggle silently, reluctant to seek help 3/21/15
- Rules for building in landslide-prone areas virtually unchanged 3/21/15
- Sens. Murray and Cantwell reflect on year since slide, ponder future 3/20/15
- Kuntz family dreams of having their own property again some day 3/20/15
- Herald journalists share stories of covering Oso tragedy in new video 3/20/15
- Grief lingers for woman whose baby and mom died in the mudslide 3/19/15
- Remember Oso victims, donate to relief efforts 3/18/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.