But unless you've made your first billion by age 30, it might be time to sharpen your look.
Here are some wardrobe toolbox items for guys to exude maturity without succumbing to it.
Most pieces are classic yet stylish and wrinkle-free.
Many are on sale today for Father's Day.
1. Dark jeans: Not skinny. Not sagging. Straight or boot-cut fits most male forms quite handsomely.
2. Pants: Flat-front chinos. No “Dad pants” — the “shapeless, pleated tragedy” the wife of the San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh set out to eradicate. It's OK to stray from the khaki-tan color grid. Take your dad shopping for some new pants while you're at it.
3. Blazer: One jacket can fit all occasions: date night, weddings, job fairs. Unsure of what color to buy? Ask for advice. Invest a few extra bucks in this wardrobe staple.
4. Stylish T-shirt: Something without a sports team logo. This is where you can show your inner Zuckerberg, but without the hoodie.
5. Button-down shirt: It doesn't have to be corporate blue or white. It can even be pink or plaid.
6. Tie: A tie speaks volumes. It says: “I'm a professional.” “I'm my own man.” It adds a splash of color to an otherwise drab outfit or tones down a plaid shirt. As our fashion model put it: “Even if you look crappy, it makes you look a little less crappy.”
7. Boots: Not mowing-the-lawn boots. A smart pair of boots such as Aldo will bring it up a notch, whether it's with jeans or chinos.
8. Dress shoes: Something classic in black or brown shoe-polish colors with matching shoelaces. For when you can't wear boots or sneakers. Or your mate tells you you can't.
9. Watch: Bling it on. This is man jewelry. And it's functional. For dressing up, get one with hands and a face, not bright green digital numbers.
10. Sunglasses: Good shades make a guy look cool, confident and sexy. Bad shades make him look 14. Splurge on some Ray-Bans.
More Life Headlines
Is teen smoking due to anxiety, or is it peer pressure? Today in History Beach season came early this year; Jetty Island is the perfect place to celebrate Cool clothing to shield your skin How to stay healthy and safe at the beach this summer Hottest trend in sandals is not-so-heavy metal Take a long stroll on the easy streets of Copenhagen Saturnís caught in the clutches of the scorpion
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.