The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Man jumps out of SUV near Marysville; crash follows

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
A man jumped out of a moving SUV early Saturday on Highway 9, causing a three-car accident.
According to the Washington State Patrol, the 27-year-old Marysville man was a passenger in a Chevrolet Tahoe driven by a 16-year-old Stanwood girl and heading north on Highway 9 at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday. The Tahoe had a total of 10 passengers, ranging from age 1 to 27.
According to trooper Mark Francis, the man, the driverís uncle, was intoxicated and arguing with his wife in the Tahoe when he opened the door and jumped out at 132nd Street NE, near Marysville.
The car was traveling at 55 miles per hour and the uncle rolled into the shoulder of the highway, hitting his head, Francis said.
The driver of the Tahoe slammed on the brakes. A Chevrolet Blazer behind the Tahoe, driven by a 33-year-old Granite Falls woman, swerved to avoid the man in the road and hit the Tahoe. Then a Ford Mustang driven by a 17-year-old Granite Falls boy swerved to miss the Blazer and also hit the Tahoe, Francis said.
The man in the roadway was critically injured and airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. A 66-year-old Granite Falls woman who was a passenger in the Blazer had a broken leg and was taken to Cascade Valley Hospital.
Francis said the driver of the Tahoe was believed to have been high on marijuana at the time of the crash. She was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence and vehicular assault, the latter stemming from the injured passenger in the other vehicle, Francis said.
The driver was not booked into jail, but was released into her parentsí custody after investigators consulted with prosecutors.
The State Patrol is continuing to investigate. Conditions of the two victims were not immediately available Sunday. All three vehicles were not driveable after the accident and towed.
Chris Winters: 425-374-4165 or
Story tags » DUICar accident

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates