With new FEMA money, county can buy all Oso mudslide tracts November 19, 2015
Timber company loses bid to avoid Oso mudslide litigation November 2, 2015
Interior secretary at Oso: Funding needed for scientific research October 16, 2015
Timber company says it bears no responsibility in Oso mudslide October 2, 2015
Judge limits extent of claims in Oso mudslide litigation August 26, 2015
Victims of Oso mudslide still await buyouts, 16 months later August 3, 2015
Oso survivors pay forward support they once received July 13, 2015
Couple shared tragedy, loss of Oso, but found love July 5, 2015
Oso mudslide trial pushed to June 2016 July 2, 2015
Study: Real cause of Oso mudslide still unknown June 27, 2015
The small lakes from the heavy rains of March and April are gone.
There is firmness to the sun-dried ground, a much altered-terrain from the aftermath of the March 22 Oso mudslide.
Evidence of uprooted and destroyed homes that once made up the Steelhead Drive neighborhood has largely been removed.
Cars and trucks again roll by along the patched-up stretch of Highway 530.
Yet the work in the debris fields is far from over.
Contractors hired by Snohomish County are searching through the dirt once more, separating out the wood and waste, all the while looking for remains and personal belongings to return to families. Forty-three people were killed in the slide. All but one has been found.
Site restoration is a $6.4 million job of sifting through the piles created by search and recovery teams. It also means clearing portions of the county-owned Whitehorse Trail.
Crews have begun screening the estimated 200,000 cubic yards of debris on private property. That's comparable to 17,000 dump truck loads or a football field filled with dirt 100 feet high, said Janice Fahning, the county construction engineering manager monitoring the work.
Roughly 95 percent of the material is believed to be soil and wood debris.
The project involves up to 80 workers, including heavy equipment operators, archeologists and spotters.
Last week, crews wearing hard hats and orange and yellow safety vests began on the western edge of the debris. It is a delicate and nuanced process that's to be carried out over 10-hour days five days a week.
Work likely will wrap up in September, well before the rainy season, said Matthew Zybas, the county's solid waste utility director.
In May, Zybas wrote a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency declaring the debris fields a public health and safety threat. Most of the cleanup money will come from federal and state governments.
The wood will be ground into chips and used on the site.
Metal will be taken to a recycling center.
Personal belongings will be stored in totes to be reunited with owners or their loved ones.
Man-made debris, mostly building materials, will be taken to a certified landfill in Eastern Washington.
Soil will be used to fill holes and trenches. The wood chips will be spread on the soil.
The site will be seeded with grass and wildflowers.
“The whole goal of the project in the end is to create a stable and safe site,” Fahning said.
The workers want to be respectful as they make their way across the area, she added.
At the same time, county officials hope curiosity-seekers don't park their cars along the highway and that they stay clear of the debris fields.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446; email@example.com.
More Local News Headlines
Contract for Snohomish Co. Jail to take Seattle inmates approved 4:26 p.m. Voters overwhelmingly chose Sultan's newest councilman, 21 Woman struck by car on Highway 99 in Edmonds 3:40 p.m. Hearing set on car allowances for Snohomish County officials Burn ban lifted in Snohomish County — except Darrington Mukilteo School District ponders change as enrollment continues to surge Monroe High's Cameron Lee wants to pursue theater, music interests Community Calendar
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.