Officials say the contaminated water got into the sump pumps of the townhouses in Skippack and caused a noxious odor.
Residents first reported the smell on Sunday evening. Officials detected a chemical odor in several homes and recommended residents leave until the substance and source could be identified.
Samples analyzed by labs on Monday indicated the compound was gasoline. But Fire Chief Haydn (HAY’-den) Marriott says officials still don’t know how the gas got into the groundwater.
Residents were being allowed back into their houses on Monday. Officials say they plan to monitor affected homes in the coming days.
More Nation & World Headlines
GOP field gathers, sans Trump Obama unveils plan to curb power plant emissions Senate blocks GOP bill to kill Planned Parenthood funds Police locate second missing Special Olympics athlete, a teen from Ivory Coast Shift in fortune reinforces California wildfire’s erratic behavior Florida man tries to carjack unmarked police car Former President Jimmy Carter undergoes liver operation Showing girl how to ‘safely draw a firearm,’ dad shoots her
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.