Win tickets to Evergreen State Fair concert
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Astros fail to sign the top pick in MLB draft

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
The Houston Astros failed to sign the first pick in this year’s major-league draft — San Diego high school pitcher Brady Aiken — before Friday’s deadline.
The head of the players’ association said the union is working with the pitcher and his advisers to explore “all legal options.”
Aiken, a left-hander, originally was offered a deal with a $6.5 million signing bonus, a person familiar with the negotiations said earlier this week, speaking on condition of anonymity because no statements were authorized. But the club expressed concern over Aiken’s elbow ligament and lowered the offer, the person said.
The union is also concerned with Houston’s handling of its negotiations with fifth-round pick Jacob Nix. The right-handed pitcher from Los Alamitos, California, didn’t sign either. Both Aiken and Nix have committed to UCLA and are being advised by Casey Close
“Today, two young men should be one step closer to realizing their dreams of becoming Major League ballplayers,” union head Tony Clark said in a statement. “Because of the actions of the Houston Astros, they are not. The MLBPA, the players and their advisers are exploring all legal options.”
The Astros insisted in a statement that their offer to Aiken “was extremely fair considering all the factors involved in this case.”
“As always, we approached these negotiations in good faith and with the best interests of the Astros organization in mind, both short-term and long-term,” the team said. “Throughout this entire process, we have absolutely acted within Major League Baseball’s rules and guidelines, which MLB has confirmed on numerous occasions.”
MLB executive vice president Dan Halem defended the team Tuesday and said “we fully support the Astros.”
“We believe that they have conducted themselves appropriately,” Halem added.
Story tags » BaseballMajor League Baseball

More Sports Headlines


Sports headlines

Top sports stories delivered daily


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus