The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.

Published: Saturday, July 19, 2014, 7:21 p.m.

Fired police chief sues Oregon city

PRINEVILLE, Ore. — The recently fired police chief of a central Oregon town says he was undone by an ambitious deputy who had eyes for his job and a city government that resented the leave he took for military service.
Former Prineville Police Chief Eric Bush says in a lawsuit that he was unjustly fired last week after a 10-month investigation by the city that centered on his alleged abuse of the city’s flex-time policy and the falsification of hours worked.
The investigation also looked at his possible misuse of office computers for personal and National Guard-related matters. The city has declined to release the investigation.
The Bulletin reported that Bush was placed on paid leave Sept. 3 of last year, the first day he returned to work after a nearly monthlong National Guard assignment in South Korea, and more than three weeks before Prineville officials announced it publicly.
Police Capt. Michael Boyd was positioning himself to be Prineville’s next chief and described Bush as “corrupt,” an “embezzler” and a “liar” to others in the department, the suit says.
Shortly after Bush had been placed on leave, the suit says, Boyd reportedly told department employees, “Chief Bush might just kill himself and that would be the easiest outcome.”
Neither Boyd nor City Manager Steve Forrester immediately returned a call from The Associated Press on Saturday.
According to the complaint, shortly after Bush was promoted to brigadier general in September 2011, some city employees began expressing concerns that his commitments to the National Guard were taking him away from the police department too often.
Bush was in South Korea with the National Guard from Aug. 4 through Aug. 31. On Aug. 28, the city retained the Local Government Personnel Institute to begin investigating Bush.
Mayor Betty Roppe said she was unable to comment on Bush’s suit, but has confidence in the city manager’s ability to make day-to-day personnel decisions and supports his dismissal of Bush.
She said council members received regular updates on the investigation over the past 10 months and conceded the process dragged on longer than she would have preferred.
“The city had to be really cautious and make sure our investigation was thorough,” she said. “Public employees have a lot of rights, and we had to make sure our i’s were dotted and our t’s were crossed.”
Bush’s suit seeks more than $2.5 million from the city to compensate for the loss of future wages and benefits along with additional noneconomic damages for defamation and the deliberate infliction of emotional distress.
Story tags » PoliceGovernment

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


HeraldNet highlights

Snackable smelt
Snackable smelt: For a Northwest treat, fry up a batch of these small fish
Cheap labor — too cheap
Cheap labor — too cheap: Herald editorial: Young athletes should be paid their due
'We look like world champions'
'We look like world champions': M's Cano likes look of team, but knows they must 'prove it'
Hard-hitting girls
Hard-hitting girls: Bruises are badges of honor for Washington Wild hockey team