The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Justice Dept. closes probe of fatal refinery blast

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
Published:
SEATTLE — The U.S. Department of Justice says it will file no criminal charges after investigating the April 2010 explosion that killed seven workers at the Tesoro refinery at Anacortes.
U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan in Seattle said Friday that the decision to close the case without charges was shared with victims’ relatives earlier in the day.
Federal criminal investigators and prosecutors examined whether federal criminal environmental and worker safety laws and regulations had been violated.
The U.S. Chemical Safety Board released its final report on the blast in May. It blamed the facility’s safety culture, industry standards and state and federal oversight for the catastrophic rupture of a heat exchanger at the refinery.
The board called for more conservative standards for the use of carbon steel and called on the state of Washington to adopt more rigorous safety management standards.

More Northwest Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus