Pizza Hut franchise donates $200,000 to mudslide relief
The American Red Cross presented the check during a meeting at the Darrington Community Center on Tuesday.
The Red Cross has received $4.5 million in donations related to the slide so far, spokeswoman Jacqueline Koch said. About half of that has been spent or allotted for emergency relief and the early stages of recovery support, she said, citing examples such as food, shelter and health care.
The Red Cross still is working with Catholic Community Services to find long-term housing for survivors.
The Pizza Hut donation came from a fundraiser at restaurants that are part of the Emerald City Pizza franchise group, Koch said.
The Red Cross continues to need support for the Oso disaster response and the Eastern Washington wildfires. To donate, visitredcross.org or call 800-RED-CROSS.
- Lions proved big-hearted after mudslide 10/21/14
- Land-use planners ready to apply lessons from mudslide 10/15/14
- Darrington IGA, owners recognized for mudslide relief work 10/10/14
- Mudslide-displaced families to receive financial assistance 10/9/14
- Study of logging risk in slide areas sought 10/7/14
- Months after mudslide, Red Cross is still pitching in 10/6/14
- County set to close clearinghouse for items found after mudslide 10/2/14
- 43 trees mark lives lost along Highway 530 in Oso 9/28/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.