Pink Martini band member Rieth found dead
A police spokesman said Friday that the Oregon State medical examiner’s office has determined that 43-year-old Derek Rieth died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The death has been ruled a suicide.
Officers found Rieth’s body Wednesday night when they conducted a welfare check on behalf of someone who was concerned after not hearing from him for several hours. Sgt. Pete Simpson says a shotgun was found and taken as evidence.
The Oregonian reports that Rieth was a founding member of Pink Martini, playing everything from bongos to finger cymbals.
The newspaper said the band was scheduled to play the Oregon Zoo with the von Trapps on Friday and Saturday, shows that will go on.
- Revered Russian writer Valentin Rasputin dies at age 77 3/18/15
- Free bassist Fraser, ‘All Right Now’ co-writer, dies 3/18/15
- ‘Discworld’ author Terry Pratchett dies at 66 3/12/15
- ‘Simpsons’ co-creator Sam Simon dies at 59 3/9/15
- Co-writer of surf classic ‘Pipeline’ dies at 69 3/7/15
- Key figure in Vietnam war-crimes controversy dies at 84 3/1/15
- Roots of the 'live long and prosper' salute 2/28/15
- Legendary jazz musician Clark Terry dead at 94 2/28/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.