49ers DT McDonald arrested on felony domestic violence charges
McDonald, 29, was released from jail after posting bail, Santa Clara County sheriff's Sgt. Kurt Stenderup said.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced tougher penalties this past week for players accused of domestic violence. The move followed scrutiny over Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice's two-game penalty stemming from his arrest on an assault charge in February.
"The 49ers organization is aware of the recent reports regarding Ray McDonald and we take such matters seriously," general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement. "As we continue to gather the facts, we will reserve further comment."
McDonald has been playing for San Francisco since he was drafted as a third-round pick in 2007.
The incident is the latest blow to what has been one of the NFL's fiercest defenses. On Friday, linebacker Aldon Smith received a nine-game suspension for what the league called violations of its substance-abuse and personal-conduct policies.
- Seahawks sign 8 to practice squad; Harvin returns 9/1/14
- Source: Chiefs' QB Smith agrees to 4-year extension 8/31/14
- Sam clears waivers, meets with Rams coach Fisher 8/31/14
- Texans acquire quarterback Mallett in a trade with Patriots 8/31/14
- Source: 49ers, holdout guard Boone agree to new two-year deal 8/31/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.