The Daily Herald
On February 11, 1901, The Everett Daily Herald published its first daily newspaper and a tradition began that would span the decades into the 21st century: a daily newspaper that would not miss a day of publication, and proudly serve an ever-changing community with high ethical standards and the most relevant local, state, national and international news.
In fact, The Herald has served as the newspaper of record for generations of families, businesses and institutions in the area.
The very first issue provided a clear picture of the impact our founders and this newspaper would have on the community. Most early newspapers were started to further the interests or political leanings of their owners. The concept of balanced, objective journalism was rare.
On Feb. 11, 1901, the new Herald put a stake in the ground to honor and respect objective journalistic values. In its first editorial, The Herald outlined its confidence in the potential of the area and aggressively stated its purpose and policy:
"The Herald will not be controlled by any influence not in harmony with the views here set forth. It will not be dictated to by any political faction, by any corporation, by any individual or combination of individuals. The editorial columns will be above being swayed by patronage. Space is for sale in the advertising columns alone, and no one buying such space will thereby acquire the right to color the tone of editorial expression.
"There is in this community no one so poor or insignificant that The Herald will not defend him if he be wronged, no one so high and powerful that the Herald will not fearlessly attack him if he seek to do injustice."
This underpinning of values and resolve helped sustain The Herald through many challenging times and economic cycles.
The fundamental philosophy that our founders committed themselves to is still at the center of what we attempt to do every day.
The Daily Herald Expands
As the area grew, so did the newspaper. The Daily Herald Co. was purchased by The Washington Post Co. in 1978. Growth in circulation and readership took place throughout the 1980s and in the 1990s, the company made a series of purchases and investments that expanded its assets. In March, 1998, The Herald began publishing a monthly business journal, later titled Snohomish County Business Journal.
Growth and investment in the local community continues for The Herald. In April 2006, the Herald began publishing a weekly Hispanic newspaper designed to serve the entire Puget Sound region.
In March 2013, Sound Publishing purchased the Daily Herald Co.
More Reader Services Headlines
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.