Mulally denies plan to leave Ford

Alan Mulally’s tenure at Ford Motor Co. is back in the headlines after a report that he is considering leaving the CEO post before 2015 to pursue another high-profile job.

Reuters cites sources who say the board is aware of Mulally’s pursuit of other opportunities including a post with the Obama administration, and that the board would accept an exit before 2015.

But Ford says that isn’t so. “I love serving Ford and will continue serving Ford,” Mulally said in an interview on Bloomberg Television.

Mulally spoke Friday in Berlin at the IFA technology show. Ford is showing the new Ford S-Max concept at IFA as well as at the Frankfurt auto show.

In emails to the media, he has said he is committed to staying at Ford through 2014, as previously outlined in Ford’s succession plans.

“There is no change from what we announced in November: Alan Mulally plans to continue to serve as Ford’s president and CEO through at least 2014,” said Ford spokesman Jay Cooney.

Even so, Mulally’s name has come up as a possible interim successor to Steve Ballmer, 57, who plans to step down as CEO of Microsoft Corp. in the next year.

Ford and Microsoft joined to develop the Sync infotainment system that is now in all Ford and Lincoln vehicles, and top executives at the two companies continue to share management tips. But it is unclear whether Mulally’s age and background are the best fit for Microsoft, if it wants a young tech guru at its helm.

Mulally has put his stamp on the automaker since he was hired from Boeing seven years ago. He is credited with taking a culture of infighting and creating a more cohesive team dedicated to corporate turnaround and excellence.

As part of succession planning, the board promoted Mark Fields, 52, last year to the new position of chief operating officer. He is considered the top candidate to succeed Mulally in 2015.

Mulally has turned around operations in North America and is overseeing a plan to expand Asia Pacific and address problems in Europe and South America by mid-decade.

More in Herald Business Journal

‘Fearless Girl’ to leave Wall Street’s ‘Charging Bull’

But she may be reunited with the ‘Charging Bull’ sculpture in a new location.

New Everett hotel will double waterfront rooms in the county

Construction on Hotel Indigo at the Port of Everett’s new live-work-play development begins Thursday.

US on track for the longest expansion ever, but at a cost

Goldman Sachs: There’s 90% chance expansion will break the record set during the 1990s tech boom.

Washington unemployment rate at 4.8 percent

The largest job gains last month were in manufacturing retail trade and leisure and hospitality.

Road to homeownership gets rockier this spring as rates rise

First-time buyers face significant hurdles; starter homes have seen the steepest price increases.

Fly with dog or potbelly pig? Alaska wants more paperwork

It says about 150 emotional support and psychiatric service animals travel on its planes each day.

Amazon cuts a deal with Best Buy, broadens global reach

It will team up with Best Buy on a new smart TV and will offer goods to new areas of the world.

FAA restricts Boeing 787s powered by some Rolls engines

The affected planes can fly no farther than 140 minutes from an airport, instead of the usual 330.

Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

The airline opposed the engine manufacturer’s 2016 recommendation for timely fan blade inspections.

Most Read