Qantas posts $2.6 billion loss for year

SYDNEY — Qantas Airways Ltd. on Thursday posted a record 2.8 billion Australian dollar ($2.6 billion) loss, reflecting a profit-draining battle with its smaller rival Virgin Australia and aircraft write downs.

The loss for the financial year ended June 30 is the largest the former state-owned airline has posted in its 94-year history. It made an AU$1 million profit in the previous year.

The dire result was expected. Shares of Qantas were up 7 percent in Sydney on the airline’s confirmation it would separate its domestic and troubled international businesses. It will establish a company for the international business that will be able to attract new investors after an Australian law change eased limits on foreign investment in Qantas

The result included an AU$2.6 billion write down of the value of its aging international fleet of Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s, reflecting a weakened Australian dollar.

Excluding the write down and other one-off costs, Qantas made an underlying pre-tax loss of AU$646 million, compared to a AU$186 million underlying profit a year earlier.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce described the result as “confronting,” but said the massive loss represented history.

“We have now come through the worst,” he said in a statement.

“With our accelerated Qantas transformation program, we are already emerging as a leaner, more focused and more sustainable Qantas group,” he said.

Joyce said the underlying loss for the latest year reflected higher fuel costs and growth in its passenger capacity outstripping demand.

Joyce forecast a profit in the first half of the current fiscal year.

The airline announced in February it would cut its employees by 5,000. So far it has shed 2,500 workers.

More in Herald Business Journal

Best foot forward: Ferndale company to make custom shoes easy

Long specializing in insoles, Superfeet is putting 3-D machines in stores to make customized shoes.

Vegas, LA, Phoenix, and more destinations from Paine Field

Alaska Airlines will fly to eight West Coast cities out of Everett starting this fall.

Port of Everett CEO Les Reardanz has been called up and will be spending much of the year away from his office. He is going to Afghanistan. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Port of Everett CEO reporting for duty — in Afghanistan

Les Reardanz has been called to active duty with the Navy for an eight-month deployment.

Early boarding pass: Everett’s rising passenger terminal

Here’s what to expect when two airlines begin passenger service at Paine Field later this year.

Closing of 63 Sam’s Club stores impacts small business

The retailer has historically prided itself on the services it has provided small business members.

Ford goes ‘all in’ on electric cars with $11 billion investment

That’s up from the $4.5 billion that Ford said in late 2015 it would invest through the end of the decade.

New pickups from Ram, Chevy heat up big-truck competition

Big pickup truck sales are important to automakers, which make huge profits on them.

Intel underfoot: Floor sensors rise as retail data source

The sensors can also be used in office buildings to reduce energy costs and nursing homes for falls.

Most Read