By Jessi Loerch
1. The North Cascades Institute is offering an intro to the Cascades Butterfly Project on Sunday. From its website:
Join us July 14 for a free introduction to the Cascades Butterfly Project, a long-term citizen science project that monitors butterfly populations in alpine and subalpine areas in North Cascades National Park, Mount Rainier National Park and Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. Mountain ecosystems are particularly vulnerable to climate change with alpine meadows expected to shrink dramatically throughout the Cascades Mountain range. We’ll be holding a volunteer training for participants to learn more about the project and the ecology of Cascades butterflies. The training will have two components: an hour-long classroom session, followed by a longer afternoon field excursion where we’ll practice field ID and scientific research protocols in subalpine meadows.
2. You can hear music outdoors at several state parks this weekend. (Well, one’s actually Thursday. Make it a long weekend?)
- Thursday: Kenmore Summer Concert Series at Saint Edward State Park
- Saturday: Celtic Roots performs at Birch Bay State Park
- Saturday: Little Beirut performs at Cape Disappointment State Park
- Saturday: Ryan McKasson and Dave Bartley at Deception Pass State Park