The cat is out of the bag. We will soon be getting a flying Corsair.
The aircraft was built at Goodyear in Akron, Ohio in April 1945. It was assigned to Marine Squadron VMF-115 in the southern Philippines and flew in combat in July and August 1945. The Marines were based at Zamboanga and flew close air support and combat air patrols during these months. This photo shows VMF-115 Corsair escorting Marine PBJs on a bombing mission.
While under civilian ownership, it was operated by the Flying W, a Western-themed airpark in New Jersey, exhibited at a museum, and flown off the USS Carl Vinson in August 1995 during the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II.
The Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum acquired the FG-1D Corsair in September 1998.